Monday, October 5, 2009

Admitting we need others: the importance of e-Allies and Comrades of Heart


Lord of the Rings movie The Two Towers inspired me when Frodo Baggins takes up his quest to take the ring to Mordor and his allies respond:

Frodo: I will take the ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way.

Gandalf: I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, for as long as it is yours to bear.


Aragorn: By my life or death, if I can protect you, I will. You have my sword. 

Legolas: And you have my bow.

Gimli: And my ax.


Samwise: Ha! Mr. Frodo’s not going anywhere without me!

Legendary characters in stories about heroes, mythology and history tell us that friends, teachers, guides, allies, mentors and comrades of heart always assist them on their adventures. Batman has Robin, King Arthur has the Knights of the Round Table guided by the wisdom of Merlin, Han Solo didn’t go solo and the Lone Rangers wasn’t alone. Like these heroes in a quest, we are not meant to be alone.

The road we are taking maybe the road less traveled, yet all those we meet and know who are also traveling it are bonded in spirit. I believe we are all meant to be supported, yet we must seek it, accept it, and give support in return. It is our duty to give hope to one another, tell one another the painful truths, provide encouragement and be one with celebration, inspiration and acknowledgement. 


We need others

After the typhoon “Ondoy,” I volunteered to join the relief operations of our company to distribute food, water and candle to co-workers who were affected by the flood. We passed by Marikina City, the most affected area and I saw the enormity of the calamity. How would it be possible to do this without other people? I realized that it is their right to be surrounded by other people in times like this.

In our daily lives, we meet people who refuse to accept support or help, for crazy reasons like pride, fear, shyness, fault, self-pity or for whatever personal reasons. These people do not want to admit that they are in need, desperate or alone - and yes, these people do exist. These people are hungry for connection, to care and be cared about and be inspired. 

Those who are seeking support are rightfully claiming it, in fact I believe it’s their job to claim it. If they don’t, then the battle is already over.  


You didn’t know how your simple comments helped us.

I did not expect the enormity of support and words of encouragement I will receive from friends, relatives, co-workers and most especially from the visitors of this blog, which I will call e-Allies, when they learned that our house was destroyed by typhoon “Ondoy.” 

I felt a particular thrill in the discovery of other people – total strangers in the internet, who took time in writing words of encouragement. 


This is me imitating the poster of a happy child in Gateway Mall, Cubao


In times like that, I felt the almost-instant affinity, like meeting a long-lost friend. I sincerely thank you all for that. You all make a valuable contribution in our recovery.

We are all ok now; things are slowly going back to normal.

Thank you very much my e-Allies and comrades of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment